Skip to main content

College and Career Center

PSAT Score Information

Kaplan offers information regarding PSAT scores.  To view this information, click here


College Visits

College Visits

2018 Better Together STEM High Schools Summer Internship Program – Oakland

4 week PAID summer internships for rising high school seniors (Class of 2019)

•  Preparation for careers and college
•  Free industry certifications including OSHA-10 and CPR training
•  Support building your resume and practicing interview skills  
•  Opportunities to learn about renewable energy 

•  On the job training with PG&E

Location: Cypress Mandela Training Center 977 66th Avenue Oakland, CA 94621

Dates: June 18th through July 13th 8:00 am to 1:00 pm on most days, OSHA training days run one hour longer.

Pay: $13.23 per hour

Please have students sign up to receive notifications and the application link by contacting Barry Scott:


Q: What is the College & Career Center, where is it, what are the hours?

A: The College & Career Center, often referred to as Career Center, is a resource area designed to disseminate college and career information. The goal is to provide students with up-to- date and accurate information as they explore their future education and career goals.

The Career Center is located in the Library and is open

  • Mondays – Fridays: 8am – 4:30pm.
  • Students can go to the Center before/after school or during passing periods.
  • Appointments can be arranged.

Q: Who’s the College and Career advisor at MEHS?

A: Johanah M Hernandez, (email is the best way to contact Mrs Hernandez)

(510) 723-3180 ext. 62122


Q: What programs, services, and resources does the Career Center provide?*

A: The following is a partial list of services/resources provided:

  • College Application and Essay Assistance Career/College Books and Catalogs
  • Career/College Majors Exploration Financial Aid Information
  • College Fairs Scholarship Application/Information
  • Work Permits SAT & ACT Testing Information
  • ROP/Vocational Information Military Information & Recruit contacts
  • Visits from:
  • 4-year college/university representatives (UC, CSU, Privates)
  • Community College representatives
  • Technical/Vocational school representatives

*The College and Career Center offers more services not be listed above.


Q: What is Mt Eden High School Code (?

A: 051153


Q: What is the A-G list?

A:  Minimum academic courses required for admission to CSUs, UCs and some private schools.

  •  A: 2 years History/Social Science (3 years recommended)
  •  B: 4 years of English
  •  C: 3 years of Math - Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II/Trig (4 years recommended)
  •  D: 2 years of Lab Science (3 years recommended)
  •  E: 2 years Foreign Language (3 years recommended)
  •  F: 1 year Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA)
  •  G: 1 year College Prep Elective

Q: How do I begin my college and college major search?

A: See Mrs. Hernandez to discuss college and career options.

Students can also log onto and use

their school email and log in to create an account.


Q: What tests are required for students applying to 4-year colleges?

A: The SAT or ACT is required for most colleges; some do not require it.

     It is highly recommended to take both as some do well on one test

     than the other.

     Student MUST take the Writing portion of SAT and ACT for UCs and private colleges.

     Some UCs recommend taking SAT subject test specific to a major while some private colleges require them. Always check the college websites.


Q: How do I sign up for the SAT and ACT?

A: Register and log on to the College Board website for the SAT.

    For the ACT with Writing, go to the ACT website.  Juniors (11 graders) are highly encouraged to take these tests in the spring of their junior year.


Q: What about the PSAT?

A: Juniors and sophomores are highly encouraged to take the PSAT in October. Check with the counseling office to register. When taken in 11th grade, students are eligible for the National Merit Scholarship. Go to the College Board website  more information on the PSAT.


Q: What is a fee waiver and how do I get one?

A: Fee waivers are used to “pay” the fees for college applications and tests (PSAT, ACT/SAT). If students qualify for Free and/or Reduced Lunch, they may qualify for fee waivers. Apply for Free/Reduced Lunch in the beginning of the school year and submit a form as soon as possible.

See your counselor for fee waiver.


Q: Where do I get an application to apply to college or university?

A: College and University applications are online.

Visit your college of choice's website to discover how to apply electronically. If you must apply by paper application, download or     request the forms from each school's Office of Admissions and mail to application to the college.

  • California State Universities (CSU)
    • Submit between October 1 - November 30.
  • University of California (UC)
    • OPEN Aug 1. Submit between Nov 1 - November 30.
  • Private colleges:
    • Starts August 1. Submit November 1-February 15.
  • Check colleges for specific deadlines/due dates and for a list of colleges who use the Common Application. Some colleges have supplemental essays or requirements or use their own application.


Q: What about applying to a community college?

A: Late Winter/Early Spring is the time to apply to community colleges. Outreach programs start in February. Chabot visits MEHS to

    help register students. Students can apply to any community college, so visit the website of the community college of choice.


Q: What is the best way to find scholarship money for college?

A: You can look at the Scholarships binder in the College & Career Center, which receives many local and national scholarships               throughout the year. The center also has books and list of websites for specific scholarships.


Good sites to start with are:

  • (Big Future)


Many employers offer scholarships to children of their employees. Check with your parent/guardian's employer to see if scholarships are offered.


Q: What qualifications do you need for most scholarships?

A: Some are based on academics, leadership, services, ethnicity, financial need, etc., and many require short essays. There are     scholarships for everyone, including students who are undocumented. The Career Center has information on all kinds of scholarships.


Q: When do I apply for Financial Aid for college?

A1: ALL 12th graders should apply for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and the Cal Grant verification between October 1 and March 2 of their senior year to qualify. Visit the FAFSA website for more information.


A2: Undocumented: DREAM Act (Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors)/Undocumented students:

      DREAM Act website or Immigrants Rising for financial aid information and resources.


Q: How do I explore my career options?

A: Go to the California Colleges website to do a career survey.

    See Ms Hernandez to learn to discuss your career options.


Q: What is ROP?

A: Eden Area Regional Occupational Program (EAROP) offers career preparation courses to 11 th and 12 th graders in the areas of Medical/Dental, Law Enforcement, Culinary, Automotive, Computer Technology and more. Most classes are articulated with colleges so students receive college credits. Visit


Q: How old do I have to be to get a job?

A: You can be as young as 14 to get a job, but many companies hire at 16-18. Check company websites for age requirements.


Q: How do I get a work permit? Do I have to get one? Do I need one over the summer?

A: You can get an application for a work permit from the College & Career Center. You need to have a 2.0 GPA (grade point average) and good attendance. Anyone under the age of 17 must have a work permit even during the summer. It is the law.


If you have other questions or need more information, see or email Mrs. Hernandez or email her

College Applications

For more information on applying to college, visit the College and Career Center in the library and click here.

A-G Courses

This link will take you to Mt.Eden's A-G Course List. You might need this when you are filling out your college applications. For example, you might wonder which of your classes counts as your G course.




Minimum Qualifications:

  • New Lifeguards must successfully complete the District's Lifeguard Academy
  • Must be sixteen (16) years of age or older as of April 20, 2019 (the first day of the Lifeguard Academy)


Apply Online:

Must be 16 years old or above.